Kindergarten and Grade 2 Moving to Green
KINDERGARTEN and GRADE 2 MOVING TO GREEN SCHEDULE SEPTEMBER 28th
Thank you for following CDC guidance and our new procedures at school. We appreciate your help keeping our students, staff, and county healthy and our students at school. Maine CDC and DOE’s categorization for Penobscot County continues to remain Green meaning
“the county has a relatively low risk of COVID-19 spread and that schools may consider in-person instruction, as long as they are able to implement the required health and safety measures. Schools in a “green” county may need to use hybrid instruction models if there is insufficient capacity or other factors (facilities, staffing, geography/transportation, etc.) that may prevent full implementation of the health and safety requirements.”
Our staff has worked hard this week to make sure we fully implement the health and safety requirements as we moved Grades 1, 3, and 5 to the Green schedule.
Monday, September 28th: Students in Kindergarten and Grade 2 can join Grades 1, 3, and 5 and follow our Green schedule; attending school 4 days per week, with Friday being remote. Students who chose the all Remote Option will remain remote.
In order to continue increasing the number of students at-school each day, we need your help.
· Coming to school by car is the safest option at this time and we want transportation to continue to be safe. We are making adjustments to our afternoon pick-ups. The traffic pattern will be slightly different in the afternoon at the Eddington School and the Holden School.
· If at all possible, please help us stagger pick-up times at Holden and Holbrook.
o If the student’s last name begins with A-M, please pick-up at Holden starting at 2:30 and at Holbrook starting at 2:50.
o If the student’s last name begins with N-Z, please pick-up at Holden starting at 2:45 and at Holbrook starting at 3:05.
· When you are out and about, please help your child practice physical distancing by reminding them if they can reach out and touch someone, they are too close.
· When you are out and about, please help your child practice wearing a face covering that meets the definition from Gov. Mills’ Executive Order. “Cloth Face Covering is a protection that covers the nose and mouth; fits snugly but comfortably against the side of the face; is secured with ties or ear loops; has multiple layers of fabric; allows for breathing without restriction; and is able to be laundered and machine dried without damage or change to its shape.”
Monday, October 5th: Pre-Kindergarten and Grade 4
Assuming things continue to go well, and Penobscot County stays Green, we anticipate students in Grade 4 joining Kindergarten through Grade 5 following the Green schedule; attending school 4 days per week, with Friday being remote. Students in Pre-Kindergarten will also begin following the Green schedule beginning on Monday, October 5th, attending school two full days per week (Mon/Wed or Tues/Thurs). Students who chose the all Remote Option will remain remote.
Desks arrived at Eddington and Holden Schools on Monday. Desks also arrived at Holbrook, but those desks are all missing legs. The manufacture is now shipping the legs to us. In order to start moving Grades 6, 7, and 8 to the Green schedule, we need the additional desks. We are also removing some built-in furniture from some Holbrook classrooms and looking for ways we can move all our students to the Green schedule. We will continue to evaluate how things are going and make adjustments as needed. We will also continue to work towards:
· bringing our students in Grades 6 through 8 to school four days per week,
· adding more remote contact and instruction on days students are remote,
· providing additional instructional support and extensions to identified students, and
· offering extra-curricular opportunities to students.
I have been impressed by the commitment made by all our RSU 63 staff to ensure our students are safe, fed, and learning. We very much appreciate your patience and support. We are grateful to be a part of this community.